10.05.2009

What ARE They Talking About?

“Look at me. LOOK AT ME!”
“Jake, shut up, you’re making a scene!”
“I don’t give a fuck! Why won’t you look at me?!”
“Please, PLEASE just keep your voice down, ok?”
“Ok. Thank you.”
“You’re welcome.”
“I think we should talk about the other night.”



“What’s there to talk about?”
“I mean…”
“What, do you want an in-depth performance review?”
“No, I just… You’ve been acting really weird ever since…”
“And why do you think that is?”
“I mean was it not good for you? I thought it was…”
“Of COURSE it was good for me.”
“Well, then, why…?”
“I don’t want to talk about this right now. I’m going to be late for Chem.”
“LUKE, come back!”
“What?!”
“I mean, we could get tested.”
“What would that accomplish?”
“Then I wouldn’t have to wear it.”
“You think THAT’S the problem? You really think all of this sidestepping, shifty glances, uneasiness between us, you REALLY think that’s the problem?!”

“Well then, what IS?! Why won’t you just talk to me?”
“It’s not that simple.”


“But it is… it is. You can trust me.”

“I just want to deal with this on my own right now… You really don’t wanna get involved.”

“But I do… I’m your boyfriend.”

“SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.”

“WHAT, so we’re back to that again?! I thought we’d gotten past this!”

“There’s been a… complication.”

“A complication?”

“Remember when…”

“Yeah?”


“Well, it turns out the door wasn’t completely closed.”

“Oh.”

“Yeah. So my sister…”

OH.”

“Yeah.”

“I thought you said no one was home.”

“Turns out she had a half day.”

“Fucking elementary school kids.”


“Yeah… So—”

“She knows. They know.”

“Yeah.”

“How’s that going?”


“As you can imagine, not that good.”
“But you still have football.”

“Nope.”

“WHAT!? They didn’t kick you off the team??”

“No. The guys knew already.”

“They made you quit, didn’t they?”

“Upon threat of going to private school.”

“Haha! I mean, that wouldn’t be so bad, would it? Boys as far as the eye can see!”

“But I’d be away from you.”

“Oh… oh, right.”

“But why…?”


“They want me home right after school every day. No more extracurriculars.”

“But both of them work till five or six… Why did you listen to them?”

“I have an 80-year-old neighbor who is more than happy to sit out on her porch to make sure I get off the bus alone every afternoon.”

“Bitch!”

“I know.”

“So… where do we go from here?”


“I dunno. I just… don’t know.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what in the hell is this post about?

Marissa Gauthier said...

Yeah..where did you hear this? It's a little too odd for Vassar...