9.19.2009

Full Circle

It's a very interesting thing for this blog to be back up-and-running, and an equally interesting thing to be doing it as a junior.

As you may know, Blog9 closed its doors, supposedly for good, back in fall 08. We felt that we'd become exhausted creatively and that (at least on my end) we'd lost that certain bright-eyed-and-bushy-tailed quality that was necessary to write a blog about life at Vassar. That feeling of fascination, the sense that everything is new and fresh, was essential to Blog9 at its inception. We were, for all intents and purposes, blogging about the opening of a new and exciting chapter in our lives. Once we entered sophomore year, we had a slump.

I felt that Vassar was just a place where I live and learn things and have fun with friends. I could do that at any school in the country.

And to some extent, that's true. But being involved in student leadership positions over the last year really made me open my eyes to what a gem Vassar really is.

And so when one of my fellow Blog9ers asked me if I'd consider relaunching, I had to do a double take. The time is ripe for a new beginning. We're two years older (and presumably wiser), and we have a better understanding of how life at Vassar works. My word for the year is ZEN. I feel very much at peace with where I am in my life, and I hope that translates into my posts.

Blog9 feels like home to me. It evokes nostalgia for freshman year, which subsequently makes it hard to believe I'm entering the second half of my Vassar career. I hope you make Blog9 your home for the warm fuzzy feelings I get when I write for it, as well as a source for what's up on campus and in the world.

Welcome to the beginning of a new chapter of the story of Blog9.
-spire

No comments: