2.20.2008

Damn/Love You, Spice Girls...

Hello All!
Well, these have been an interesting couple of days.

Starting the week I SWORE that I was going to be good, do all my work on time, read ma reads and have a schedule for this week. I guess we the youth ARE idealistic. So what happened? Turns out that Sunday night I get this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

My friend has an extra ticket to the Spice Girls. So after pulling some strings (mainly my family's) I get the money, buy the ticket, and find myself on the 4:30 train to NYC on Monday. So much for that Sociology reading.

Anyways; we see a bunch of people from Vassar either on their way there or at the concert (Have you seen the people around campus with the totes and t-shirts? Yes, they went). It was at Madison Square Garden. It was packed. It was awesome.

Before the SGs came on, some anonymous Dj was mixing some songs that were definitely worthy of any Vassar weekend party. From Justin to Britney and everything in between (including a "Crank That" were most of the people decided to dance while seated), everyone was completely pumped by the time the girls decided to start the show with "Spice World".

So really, I only owned one of their cds when i was a kid, and I don't consider myself a proper fan I guess (compared to the masses of 15-45 year olds dressed up in their Baby Spice outfits, platforms included), but I still know all of their songs (call it a case of musical osmosis). Still, this was great. I tended to love the show more when they got a little edgy; like when they did "Holler" and each of them had a different guy dressed in leather and on a leash, being walked down the runway-like stage, or when Geri Halliwell aka Ginger Spice aka The-One-Who-Broke-Them-Up, sung "It's raining Men".

Other highlights were Mel C's solo (definitely the best voice in that group) and when they all got their kids on stage for "Mamma", while Cruz Beckham, the youngest of the clan, tried to breakdance. In the meantime, Sporty Spice, the only kid-less one, danced awkwardly to the side. Posh Spice never got out of her self-made persona, and did not crack a smile, or a hint of one. Her solo consisted of attaching some silk fabric to her skin-tight dress, donning some huge sunglasses, a fake (or real) cellphone and walking down the runway to a remix of "Like A Virgin" and some other unknown song (that she didn't sing, OF COURSE). Apparently she is way too cool for the singing part of the show, so she skipped the solo thing. I love her.

Anyways, so I came back Tuesday morning, behind on my work, my so-called 'schedule' dead on arrival, tired and sleepy, and overall, very happy. I walked my way up Noyes' stairs, got to my room, saw the mess it was (is), took a shower and ran out before I had any time to convince myself to clean it. I love plans, but I also know I rarely follow them through. The best plans are those random, last-minute ones.

Like deciding to go to a Spice Girls concert less than 24 hrs before it happens.
ElCarrá.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

na na na na na sonrisa
nanananananana

i LyKe YoUr LeOpArD LEOTARD lollzzz
<3333333

PS yU sooooooooo SeCkSi