2.21.2008

Valentine's and No Regrets

So…now that I’m well informed on room draw and well fed, thanks to our wonderful study break (thanks Vendi!!!), I shall comment a bit (and I do realize it’s late for this) on Valentine’s Day. Just a quick observation: when I went out exactly a week ago, I was already imagining seeing every student dressed in white, red and pink, but I ended up seeing much more blue and gray than red. This surprised me, and I was actually very amused by it because I thought about the possible causes for this: maybe Vassar is too hippie for Valentine’s day, maybe the students are more worried about getting to class on time than what they’re wearing that morning, or maybe we’re too smart to give into a Hallmark celebration. Whichever the reason, I concluded that…I’m just so glad it’s Vassar! Now…I leave you with a thought that came to my mind just now:

The stories I’ll tell

When I grow old I don’t wan to run out of stories to tell. You know those old people who have lived so much and so well that they always have some tale to pass on, something inspiring, impressive, and if you’re lucky (and if they feel like it) passionate. That’s who I want to become. You know when, after living a very intense moment (the ones we remember the best) you feel like taking things easy? You don’t need the thrill anymore, you’ve had enough for a while and you can simply relax. That’s how I want to live my life. I’m hoping that it will be so intense and so full of passionate (and even dramatic) moments, that when I reach a certain age (in which also, by the wonders of human nature, I will no longer be as…dynamic) I’ll feel as if I had enough. I don’t mean to say that I’m ever going to stop doing things and living…but…I guess the point I’m trying to make is: when I reach a certain point in my life, when there’s no turning back, I want to make sure that there’s nothing I regret not doing. It’s what we hope for, right?

Aletheia

No comments: