5.01.2008

Trials of Room Draw

**WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS MORE THAN 300 WORDS.**
During the Nuremberg trials, after the fall of the Nazi regime, many officers of the Nazi army were pressed to explain just why and for that matter how they were able to commit such atrocities. Where they brainwashed? Did they enjoy it? Many broke down and proclaimed that no one knows what kind of person they will become until put under such extreme circumstances. Many survivor say the same, a good man becomes a murderer while a shrewd man saves lives. We’re far from Nazi Germany and no one is being burned alive but today I witnessed first hand how human nature can change.

Far stretched metaphor? Not really for Main room draw… Personally my friends and I had a set plan for the last week. We scoped out the rooms, called dibs, and worked out the numbering for where we would go. We decided to stick together next year as we had done this year. By 7:10 we saw the rooms left after the seniors and juniors drew, and panic ensued. Suddenly, over the next hour, friends began gossiping, plotting their own rooms for their own selfish desires. I watched roommates abandon others far down on the list for singles. I saw others tell someone to their face they would pull them in and then leave with someone else or no one at all. Girls cried. Each time another room was crossed out another person revamped their plan to suit their needs.

Never before have I felt so abandoned as my friend came back to say she picked a room far away from our original plan. Now what? Where the fuck do I go when we’ve all scattered? I guess I fail the test of humanity because I took on of the largest singles I could. There was nothing left for me to do, our group had scattered and that was that. Am I bitter? A little… Maybe two floors and the length of Main will give us enough space and we’ll stay close, maybe not. All I can say is next year will be different. I’m just ready for summer and a break from Vassar’s occasionally excessive drama.

Yours Truly, contrASt

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's not the end of the world. you don't have to live next to your best friend in order to stay close. it's just a room!

Anonymous said...

Seriously? You're comparing Main room draw to the fucking Nuremberg Trials?

Re-evaluate.

Anonymous said...

Well, it did end up starting fights all night. Also the comparison is not the draw itself, but the way people react and the true selfish nature of people. At Nuremberg the defense was that most people don't know their true nature until placed in circumstances like WWII. You only see true colors when the going gets tough...

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty offended by your comparison. It was in poor taste, especially since Thursday was Holocaust Remembrance Day.

Anonymous said...

wow... this is offensive. christ.

Anonymous said...

You have got to be kidding me.
If you are such good friends, you will stay friends. And to compare something to the Nuremberg Trials is so tasteless and ignorant. I'm not going to be mean and offensive back, but I ask you to seriously evaluate your post and ask if it is a representation of yourself you want online.

Anonymous said...

while I find the comparison a bit extreme, I don't find it offensive at all.

contrast is using a historical allusion to illustrate how she felt about what happened, not commenting on the Holocaust.

Anonymous said...

Um, I live 4 hours away from my best friend and we're as close as ever...

Anonymous said...

ditto 11:30

Anonymous said...

yo, you all need to chill the fuck out.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't there for much of it, I was pretty much in and out for room draw, but that sounds pretty tough. People are just so bitter... I really don't think that drama ensued in Strong, but I could be wrong...

Anonymous said...

I would like to emphasize that I'm not actually saying room draw=holocaust. The comparison comes from a book I've been reading about the history of death camps; in one chapter there is an exert from the Nuremberg trials. The person on stand exclaims that no one can know the truth of human nature or who they will become until they are placed in such circumstance as the human nature is challenged. The quote struck me and obviously stayed in my head.
I'm glad you're still close friends with those people. I'm not being high strung. Those 'friends' of mine have been nothing but drama since day one. (Obviously) We aren't close enough to try to work through this. The entire process was simply unwanted stress to my life without adding in watching several people turn on one another.

Anonymous said...

I don't think your comparison is entirely deserved. I agree with 12:39.

So... Maybe these people aren't really your friends?

Anonymous said...

grr. leave the poor girl alone. vassar people can be so annoying. summer hurry up and come!

Anonymous said...

i've been commenting 4eva that blog9 is a racist conspiracy. LET THIS COMMENT THRU NUGZ.

Anonymous said...

Um, HAHAHAH at all the people who are supposedly "offended"; seriously, chill out.