3.09.2008

Buckle up! It's gonna be a wild, wild ride...

Wow, basically.
What an insane trip home.

So I was already nervous about getting home because of the intense snow. After a long delay, spent with a friend of a friend of a friend from Vassar, the plane finally took off. I slept for most of the time because I have this killer cold right now.

Upon landing, I got a phone call from my parents saying that they hadn't left yet to pick me up since the roads were just too treacherous. I was planning to just hang out at the airport, then we discovered that my city was in a level 3 blizzard warning--meaning that it was literally illegal for anyone to be out on the roads.

"Plane slides off runway at Port Columbus"... "...dumped 20.4 inches of snow in one go, surpassing the previous all-time 15.3-inch record in 1910, and the March record of 9.6 inches in 1906"... "95% of flights cancelled"... Crazy, crazy, crazy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_2008_North_American_blizzard

We decided that the best thing to do would be for me to stay at a hotel (even though I was about an hour from home on a good day!) My Vassar friend's parents drove me to the hotel, where I lounged around sexily on the hotel bed, blowing my nose and coughing and making a few phone calls/texts. Then the blizzard where I was staying moved from a level 2 up to level 3, meaning that everywhere from me to home it was illegal to drive. I went down to the lobby where they had set up some things from the breakfast since no one could leave the hotel, and I had some pb&j and hot chocolate plus a Vassar apple later.

So I ended up staying alone in a hotel for the first time. Believe it or not, it was actually really fun. I felt guilty enjoying myself since a hotel obviously isn't free and since I wasn't HOME enjoying myself, but... It was kind of like riding an airplane my first time alone, except that I was super-independent in every way. I went to bed fairly early being sick and all and I slept away a lot of the afternoon/evening, but it was still really fun. I'd do it again, actually.

This morning I woke up, called my parents (they were already en route), got dressed and had some hotel breakfast (yay bagels!) and then they came. Now I'm finally home after what should have felt like more of a struggle, I think.

I'd say that now my break can start, but I think it already has... And what happens on spring break stays on spring break, right? (Just kidding.)

I hope you all are relaxing at home and enjoying good food, company, and all that goes with it!
- aRCHEL

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love staying in hotel rooms alone! Hi archel. This is yo best pal. Yknow, the one you went on Retreat dates with after scrutinizing bodies and texts. I hope you're home safe and sound and ah luhh you!