3.28.2008

Sports Nation

The one thing I feel that I miss out on going to Vassar is the excitement of college sports. I know, I know… I’m going to have a thousand comments from readers astounded that I would ever say such a thing. BUT it’s true. I come from the world of Big 10 college football and let me tell you- there is no rivalry in the WORLD that compares to that of the University of Michigan and The Ohio State University. The rivalry breaks down families, tears best friends apart, puts teachers and students at odds. EVERYONE watches, convinced that their team will take home the win.

I see facebook albums from high school friends with college sports pics and I get a little sad. I miss that. Even in high school, Football Friday was what we lived for. Dressing up in jerseys or T-shirts that we made. Ribbons and glitter and face paint. Bonfires after games and obscene cheers from the student section. I’m getting excited just thinking about it.

But here at Vassar that just doesn’t happen. Sport teams support each other, and groups of friends go out to games but that is it. It is sad because we have some GREAT teams here. Men’s Volleyball, Men’s Basketball, Women’s Lacrosse and others too. Attending sporting events gives people a reason to get excited together, even if you don’t really like the particular sport or know people on the team. It’s a way to build of school spirit. And it’s really fun.

So, to get my college sports fix this weekend I’ll be at all three home lacrosse games. If you feel so inclined JOIN ME. I promise it’ll be a good time

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree, people here really undervalue sports. I understand plays and concerts and that kind of thing are good too, but they don't really provide the same kind of unifying and exciting atmosphere that a sporting event with filled bleachers does. Maybe we just need Vassar to commit more to sports, maybe make an actual basketball stadium or something, and that will allow us to attract top players which will lead to great seasons and hopefully a greater interest by the student body.

Anonymous said...

i agree completely. its sad that more people go to a quidditch match than will ever go to a real sporting event here. it finally seems like vassar is spending a little bit more on sports like getting new fields (even though its taken years to do so. baseball hasnt even played a home game in over a year.) but there needs to be more. the school has more than enough money to put a little bit extra into the sports programs. there are many other top tier academic schools that put alot into their sports programs and it helps the school overall. theres no reason vassar can't do the same.

Anonymous said...

I never went to sports games in high school, and I don't go to the games here...it's just never been a part of my life