3.03.2008

Friendship

It's crazy (for those who know me) to think that two to three years ago, I'd have considered myself the kid with the least friends.

High school was mainly a drag for me. I didn't really get into popular (top 40) music till freshman year, and so I felt uncomfortable at my middle school dances. I didn't go to any dances freshman or sophomore year of high school.

Part of it had to do with the result of elementary school: I was overweight, weighed 100 pounds by first grade, and was teased incessantly because of it and other things. Par example: my mom made me wear nice clothes (khakis and a polo shirt) through all of elementary school, because it was "inappropriate" to just wear a t-shirt and jeans. Also, I was very sheltered from the evils of the world. Boy Meets World? What's that? Power Rangers? No. Way. PG-13 movies? Wait till you're 13.

Because of my parents, I was handicapped socially. Yea, I made friends, but it was because of just one thing: Pokémon. I was a MASTER back in the day. But, ironically, Pokémon was the very thing that handicapped me in middle school; it was juvenile, and again I became an outcast.

Junior and senior year were better than the first two of high school, though, because I lost 50 pounds, and therefore had more self-esteem; a better self-image. My first dance was homecoming junior year, and I had a TON of fun. Still, needless to say, I didn't really "hang out" with kids from school. Just didn't happen. I dunno why; it just didn't.

Which is why it's so different here at Vassar. It gave me a chance to reinvent myself, to portray who I wanted to portray, my true self, without any inhibitions; who would be able to stop me?

So far, it's turned out to be no one. I have hundreds of friends here, who I legitimately feel I can depend on when the going gets tough, and I'd like to think that they feel the same way about me.

I wish you all the best on your last few midterms, and many happy returns of the day!
muah! SPRiNKLES

P.S.: Rococo Puffs

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, Sprinkles, I'm surprised, definitely! But I guess people might be surprised to learn that I don't really have friends from high school and there's no social life outside of my family when I go home... Haha, love me some Vassar!!! We all find our niches and our place to call home ^_^.

Anonymous said...

I can empathize.

Also, that video is fantastic.