3.03.2008

A New Face

Littleone reporting for duty from Mama Joss. I'm psyched to be joining the Blog9 team and I can't wait to regale our readers with all the gory details of my life at Vassar. (For the record, my life at Vassar consists of: rehearsal, not being able to walk properly during the winter, eating Pop-Tarts from the vending machine, rehearsal, whining about the food at the DC, making poor decisions, and rehearsal.)

I'm a little swamped this afternoon ­as in, I have fifteen minutes left to sit around my dorm room and finish writing this, and then I'm off to eight hours of rehearsals and meetings and drill sessions and other self-inflicted forms of torture. But as I keep reminding myself, I only have four more days of madness until I get on that (interminably long) plane flight home! I can't wait to feel that Southwestern sunshine and eat some REAL food.

But as excited as I am to be home, I'm not so excited to leave. This is a big step for me when I went home for Thanksgiving and winter breaks, I was desperate to get as far away from Vassar as possible. I think I left my common sense in my hometown 3000 miles away, because during those first four months, I made as many bad decisions as one girl can make in such a short time. I was a wreck ­I missed my friends and even my family more than I could possibly say, and all I wanted to do was erase what had happened and start over again.

Not now, though. This semester, I'm doing things differently. I still have no common sense (who am I kidding? I never had any), but I'm keeping myself busy doing what I love rather than letting myself sit around and wallow. I'm spending half my life in class and rehearsal, but that¹s what I want to DO, and it's great. I'm getting closer with some very, very amazing people, and though they can't replace my friends from home, they are a most welcome addition to my life.

Anyone with me? After six months, is it possible that this place, this mysterious little microcosm of brick buildings, ice-covered pathways, and people who all seem ten times smarter than me is finally beginning to feel like home?

-littleone

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can't wait to be able to buy poptarts from the vending machine with my vcard next year!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm always amazed by how many commitments other people have when I hear about them. It seems like I use up all my time with classes, homework, running and working out, and yet there's plenty of people here who are on like 3 varsity teams and 5 committees and 2 music groups and volunteer and have a job and are taking 5 classes. And they do early-bird yoga or something like that. I really want to know how all that is possible.

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way.