3.24.2008

Take Note: Things That Annoy Waitresses

While I was at home over Spring Break I went back to my job as a waitress for a few days. Whenever I go back I remember how many things annoy me when I’m waiting on people. Really, they seem like common sense things that customers should know, but I guess they aren’t. So here, for all the world to see is a list of all the things that annoy me when I waitress…. (Learn from them)

1. TIPPING. Bad tippers are my biggest pet peeve. If you come in for dinner and your bill is fifty dollars, leaving anything less than $7.50 is being really really cheap. Tips are essentially my only income while I waitress… my hourly wage is so low that it barely covers the money for my taxes.

2. It is NOT your waitress’ fault that your steak isn’t done how you wanted it. She doesn’t cook the food she just serves it.

3. DEFINITELY don’t leave a lower tip because the food isn’t good. Again, she has no control over it.

4. If something is wrong (ANYTHING) tell the waitress… don’t wait until you are at the register paying for your meal to complain to the hostess about. How can anything be done if you don’t speak up??? Plus, the waitress will end up in trouble for something she didn’t even know about.

5. Don’t take it out on me if you are having a bad day… and don’t tell me your whole life story when I ask how you are. I really don’t care that you’ve been constipated for days… I’m just being polite.

SGPG

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Also, as a fellow waitress, here are some tips for better service overall:
1) close your menu when you've selected your meal, she'll know what to do
2) Make sure you know the meat temps and how you like it served to avoid over or undercooked meat
3) Tip etiquet goes like this: 10% is an insult tip for bad waitresses with poor service 15% is standard 20% and up is for good service and a smile (anything lower than 10% just makes you look cheep or rude).
On a side note many waitresses make far below minimum wage (mine is $2.80/hr) because they are expected to make it up in tips...you may be depriving her children or family by excluding a tip.
4) be ready as a group, for gods sake DO NOT make her run back and forth for small things like ketchup, tarter sauce, extra napkins, ect... then she has to neglect other tables

Anonymous said...

you guys sound like bitchy waitresses. It comes with the territory to have annoying customers just as with any other profession... SUCK IT UP!!

Anonymous said...

contrast... thank you for understanding. :):)
anonymous.... you sound like someone who i wouldnt want to wait on. of course there will be people not matter what who will annoy me. but there are also common courtesy things that i feel that people should know. often times people dont realize the things they do that annoy waitresses. im simply informing them because a happy waitress makes for a better experience for everyone. :):)

Anonymous said...

hhaha constipated