4.21.2008

One Voice

**WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS MORE THAN 300 WORDS.**

I've done a lot of performing in my life. I've been part of a fair few ensembles that adored each other and I have even helped make an audience cry once or twice. I'm no stranger to invoking deep emotion or to being swept away by the passion of a performance.

But never before have I experienced something like I did as a cast member of Bare.

After auditions, I was just excited to be in a show. I hadn't done anything since last June, and I was dying for the stage (anyone who's been on one can tell you that it's addictive). I was looking forward to challenging my vocal range and making a few new friends.

Little did I know what it would turn into... somehow, I found myself wrapped up in a group of incredible people who were as unabashedly eager about art and expression as I am. A group of people who reminded me that I am talented, and I am a product of hard work -- and that talent and hard work can produce nothing without an ensemble effort. I can't express how thankful I am to have these people in my life. They saved me from myself.

Nothing can top this weekend's four performances. Nothing. I couldn't hold myself together at the end of the show -- all I could think of was that this happens. Thoughtless discrimination happens, and I could see it reflected in the tears of our pianist, of the boy sitting in the front row, of my fellow cast members, all of whom have been victimized before just because they're different in such an unimportant way.

I hope that everyone who came to see the show got something out of it, whether you liked it or not. Please -- remember that people can be hurt by your words, and sometimes even more so by your silence.

"Jesus knows what's up."
littleone

p.s. also, PRACTICE SAFE SEX, and make sure that you aren't unknowingly eating pot brownies, and maaaybe avoid raves.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

BARE was probably my favorite musical production I have ever seen. The cast was so brave...it was awe inspiring.

Anonymous said...

Yea. You guys seriously inspired me.....

I was lead soloist for my Catholic Theater Group two summers ago. I miss it...

We'll see what develops for the fall.

;)

Anonymous said...

BARE was amazing! It made me cry and I'm still obsessed with the songs. You guys performed with such passion that was impossible not to like it!
Congratulations to all of you!!

Anonymous said...

so touching. i cried. if i wouldnt have been around so many people i prob wouldve been bawling my eyes out. congrats on such a WONDERFUL show. :)

Anonymous said...

dont be hating on raves though. raves are the shit.

Anonymous said...

magnificent show. it was like a sign that vassar should be my home for the next four years.

Anonymous said...

i feel so so lucky that i got the chance to see this.