4.18.2008

On Kindness

I ordered take out food from that new Italian place in Poughkeepsie that has been advertising a lot recently: Milani's. Okay, so I called in my order and the woman who answered was very pleasant. I gave her my order, and we hung up. About 50 minutes later, the delivery man showed up at Davison. Meanwhile I had been waiting in the entrance way, so I opened the door for him - a very instinctual thing to do -and he seemed genuinely appreciative. I then told him that I was the one who ordered. He said "Ah, okay, well..." and proceeded to tell me that he not only included an extra pizza (large) for us, but that he upgraded our two small pizzas to normal size. (Keep in mind we ordered more than just pizza).

Having had an exhausting week, during which I had been stressed into outer limits of sanity, I was struck by the kindness of this man, who I believed (from the way he was talking to me), that he was probably one of the owners or in the family of the owners. I was overwhelmed, perhaps more than I should have been, by this act that was completely superfluous yet so selflessly nice. This act reminded me that people can be generous, nice, caring even when it's not expected of them. It's so nice to think that there are other people who are nice just for the sake of being nice. It's refreshing, and it's fulfilling in a sense. I don't want come across as prideful, but I revel in doing things for others - my parents, friends, acquaintances, classmates, professors, whoever - just because I know it will make them happy.

It's nice to be on the receiving side of this relationship - to be the target of the good act - because it strengthens my own desire to continue to do the "good deed."

I hope you'll give and receive some kindness today,
-Poseidon

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

when i'm at vassar, I lose sight that not everyone in the world is selfish, snotty, and thinks that things should be handed to them on a silver platter. good blog

Anonymous said...

"prideful"? lol

Anonymous said...

this post is so true- keep it up! when people reciprocate, it's an awesome feeling