4.14.2008

Two Doors and Candy Apple Walls

**WARNING: THIS POST CLOCKS IN AT MORE THAN 400 WORDS.**
(For the record, the Blog9 Admin thinks that this is a BEAUTIFUL post.)

We checked out the apartment yesterday. It borders the graveyard on the opposite side of Noyes, with an entrance through two doors leading back to back and opening onto each other in opposite directions. Then there is a narrow staircase up into three small bedrooms, a living room, and a tiny kitchen with a balcony. My room is light blue and looks over the playground. It's rockin'.

This whole living off-campus thing was a decision that required about as much deliberation as two people who are mutually attracted to each other partake in when locked up together in a dark closet, naked, and with a bottle of Bacardi: it just kind of happened. I had my heart dead set on becoming a student fellow; then I didn't get it. Instead I got the blue bedroom, and maybe a pair of Lovebirds to keep me company. Not to mention two incredible roommates to share it all with. (And cable. Baaaaaaller.)

And I'm thinking, it's funny how things work out so well. Most of my life ends up being this high-speed emotional Rollerblade chase involving laser beams and highly flammable slinkies being thrown all over the place, terrifying innocent bystanders. I stay up in the dark, staring at the piping along the walls, wondering whether or not the water is carrying me down the right stream. Because don't we all want to end up somewhere safe, to wake up in the places our minds have visited, places we think we know well? And then I remember that the beauty of living is tied up with this tendency of everything to strive towards certain balance. Think about it: we exist solely because of this motion of things towards equilibrium. It is in our very cells, it is a part of every process necessary for our survival, it is what allows us to exist as individual beings separate from our environment. It is so important. And I believe this osmosis of sorts happens on a greater scale as well, involving me, and you, and everything within and without us. I believe that when something doesn't work out the way we planned, it is just a sign that there is something else out there for us, something good that we're missing. And because of this selective permeability of life, I really do think we should be taking it easy, that we should not be thinking too far ahead, that we should learn to take things as they come and go. So get low with the flow if you know what's good for you. Take a breath. Take a break. Take your time.

I'm yours,
Rad

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey i know who you are!! are you living with nina uveydin?? co